[MUD-Dev] Containing automation?

Matthew Mihaly diablo at best.com
Thu Jul 22 13:08:59 CEST 1999

Raph wrote:
> I missed the original post, so replying to a reply.
>
> The above is really very dependent on the audience sought, on the scope of
> the game, etc. There are lots of mu* players, as Marc noted, that are there
> for other things. In final analysis, you can also state that players aren't
> there for adventure--they are there for each other. They can get adventure
> in a standalone game.
>
> Many gave us the above argument when we were releasing UO. Turned out that a
> very significant portion of our playerbase only want to hang out in taverns,
> build towns, be blacksmiths, cook pizzas, and other such peaceful tasks. I
> think the assumption that muds are for adventuring and that players only
> want to adventure is one of the assumptions crippling the development of the
> genre.

There is no question that you are right, Raph. I'm discovering this now
with Achaea. We are only now starting to focus less on combat and
mob-bashing (we don't call mob-bashing combat, as it's pants compared to
PvP combat), and more on "other stuff", whether it be politics, economics,
or things like gambling. In fact, although the only gambling we have so
far is roulette (we'll be putting in blackjack, craps, and poker too),
players are addicted as hell to it. They sit there for HOURS playing
roulette.

--matt

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu