[MUD-Dev] Containing automation?

AR Schleicher ars at nwu.edu
Tue Jul 20 20:19:34 CEST 1999

At 06:08 PM 7/20/99 -0500, Koster, Raph wrote:

>The basic initial tool is memory snooping to alter client-side memory. This
>is easily done by running your client within a process that is acting as a
>debugger. If you're foolish enough to trust the client, there's quite a lot
>that can be done here. We didn't trust the client, so all they can do is
>change the local appearance of things on their screen.

Just to clear things up here, this should really be:  "We trusted the
client at first, but realized how foolish this was, and have since stopped
trusting it.", or "We don't trust the client anymore, ..."  UO has improved
quite a bit as time has gone by.

If anyone is curious about the UO Protocol, I can supply pointers to where
some fairly detailed information might be found.  To give an idea of the
magnitude of it, there's roughly 80 distinct message types sent from the
server to the client.

Jerrith
ars at nwu.edu

Allison Rae Schleicher IV (AR)