[MUD-Dev] Containing automation?

Katrina McClelan kitkat at marcus.pants.nu
Mon Jul 19 13:40:38 CEST 1999

On Mon, 19 Jul 1999, Timothy O'Neill Dang wrote:

> I'm largely concerned with automation of trade skills,
> I'm sure it's possible to design them to act just as complex and exciting
> as combat, I haven't seen it done yet. Trade skills, probably naturally,
> tend to be pretty straightforward in execution. My concern is preventing a
> bot from buying material, making good, buying material, making good, put
> good in bank, buying material, making good...

Well the trick to this is a realistic economy.  If you manufacture 1
billion long swords, then suddenly everyone has or can get one, so the
demand plummets and you have lots of worthless swords, that you spent
materials trying to make.  Of course the supply of the material as you
make the swords becomes more scarce, causing the price of it to go up.
As you can see the curves both shift unfavorably to the would be bot.

-Katrina

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu