[MUD-Dev] Re: META: list "peerage"

John Bertoglio alexb at internetcds.com
Wed Jan 20 18:24:07 CET 1999

-----Original Message-----
From: Koster, Raph <rkoster at origin.ea.com>
Date: Wednesday, January 20, 1999 4:20 PM

<<much cut>>

>More frightening: how many list members never post, because they feel that
>they cannot compose a mail such as that? It also gets as the issue of what
>the nature of the list is. If the list is a research institution (which it
>is currently heavily biased towards) then that is fine. You want the
>contributors to be those who actively advance or elucidate the state of the
>art every time they open their mouth. The danger is that said state of the
>art never materializes because we're all too busy talking about it to
>actually make it happen. (I seem to recall one poster--was it John
>Bertoglio?--who stopped posting last time I made a similar comment, with
the
>remark, "You're right, I am going to stop talking and start coding now.").

Not me....though I respect the person who said it. I haven't been posting
because of two reasons:

1) Been very busy on work-related projects (c.f. www.homeseller.net)

2) We are converting our NT/Xbase web work stuff to a UNIX/Cache (from
InterSystems in Boston, MA). This enviroment is somewhat expensive for a MUD
but has awesome potential. It is a Post Relational DBMS that uses
object-oriented, multi-dimentional arrays. Unlike other OODBMS's Cache is
faster than a scalded ape, running 7-20 times faster than Oracle/SQL Server,
et. al. when doing complex multi-table joins (which would be the rule in a
mud with a database backend.) The stuff runs on WIN XX and NT as well as
UNIX boxes the size of Cleveland...so at last, I don't have to trust GatesCo
for scalability.

<<more interesting stuff cut>>

>-Raph

Hope to convert from lurker to active in a few months.

John Bertoglio