[MUD-Dev] Re: mobile movement

Holly Sommer hsommer at micro.ti.com
Wed Jan 13 10:11:55 CET 1999

On Tue, 12 Jan 1999, J C Lawrence wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Jan 1999 13:39:51 +0000 (BST)
> Ling <K.L.Lo-94 at student.lboro.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> > The ambitious mud designer will, of course, not define the
> > highways and write an algorithm which tracks players and
> > extrapolate the routes from the players' movements. :)

This is not entirely unrelated to an idea which sprang forth in a
brainstorming session at 2 am about 3 years ago... The idea of dynamic
terrains.

Different terrains would display varying degrees of resistence to
"trampling" -- that is, the more frequently any thing moves over them,
the quicker a "path" is formed. Some terrains would "heal themselves" up
quicker than others -- ie:, a meadow would grow its grass back up within
a week of disuse, but would also be easy to form a path... compared to
drier climes, where it takes months to smooth out and depress a path in
the hard-packed earth.

Just thought I'd toss that general idea out :)

-Holly