[MUD-Dev] Re: MUD Design doc (long)

Mik Clarke mikclrk at ibm.net
Fri Jan 8 16:03:37 CET 1999

Emil Eifrem wrote:

> The problem is that I just don't think it would work in practice. I mean,
> the preprocessing for 'get' and 'drop' is pretty similar (is the object
> there? can it be manipulated by the character?) but what about 'dodge',
> 'who', 'say' and 'cast'? -shrug-
>
> I know there are people out there who have implemented or are considering
> implementing this -- how did you set it up?

Normally you would have a generic handler for each verb - the get
handler, the drop handler, the who handler, the say handler and the cast
handler (I consider dodge to be an automatic skill).  Each one will run
the appropriate checks for its command and then drive the execution.
The base object would have the normal method for each verb defined, with
extra methods being added at higher levels.  Methods would be like
'can_i_get)you', 'you_have-been_got_by', 'can_i_cast_you',
'you_are_cast_by'.  Verbs like say and who wouldn't call executor
methods, they'd just run the function.

Mik
--
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Cafe/2260