[MUD-Dev] Re: MUD Design doc (long)

Mon Jan 4 20:16:09 CET 1999

[Caliban Tiresias Darklock:]

 >So I was considering creating a
 >general sort of "virtual machine" architecture where each user gets like an
 >8K memory space; the upper 4K forms a data segment (partially pre-populated
 >with information on his surroundings), and he has the lower 4K to write code
 >in some proprietary machine language. This way, I can give the user a LOT of
 >power in terms of the language itself, and maintain some serious state from
 >command to command. (This also creates the idea of being able to infect some
 >other player's macro computer with a virus or trojan somehow.)

Sounds like CoreWars meets MUD!

I've had something vaguely like that on a way-back burner for a few years.
I was aiming at a much higher level, however - essentially the level at
which my current system has parse trees for execution. I doubt it'll ever
get implemented, however - too many other things are needed first! Your
audience might be a bit restricted - those who are into both MUDs and
CoreWars type things!

--
Don't design inefficiency in - it'll happen in the implementation. - me

Chris Gray     cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA