[MUD-Dev] Re: pet peeves

Martin Keegan martin at camelot.cyburbia.net.au
Sun Feb 21 02:21:48 CET 1999

On Fri, 19 Feb 1999, Wes Connell wrote:

> How instead of an actual breaking point for permadeath just allow a
> certain amount of lives. Sorta like a video game. I've never seen that
> imp'd into a mud before. When you are a newbie you recieve three lives.
> After they are all used up you die. Quests could be used to give extra
> lives and such.

A mud I used to run had precisely this system. Each time you died, you
lost a life. You got 7 lives to start with. Lives could be bought or sold
at a magic shop. There was an amusing message if you tried to sell your
last life. Lives were extremely expensive, though when the currency got
debased in v11, anyone who could put in a few playing hours could become
immortal in a sense.

Once you lost your last life, anyone in the necromancer guild could raise
you from the dead. If you came back, they could basically control your
character.

This mud did a lot to encourage player-killing, which was quite lucrative,
but no-one would. They were all too nice :(

Mk

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu