[MUD-Dev] Re: pet peeves

greg gav101 at psu.edu
Fri Feb 19 17:31:12 CET 1999

-----Original Message-----
From: Wes Connell <wconnell at eden.com>
To: mud-dev at kanga.nu <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Date: Friday, February 19, 1999 12:02 PM
Subject: Re: [MUD-Dev] Re: pet peeves

>On Thu, 18 Feb 1999, Robert Woods wrote:
>
>How instead of an actual breaking point for permadeath just allow a
>certain amount of lives. Sorta like a video game. I've never seen that
>imp'd into a mud before. When you are a newbie you recieve three lives.
>After they are all used up you die. Quests could be used to give extra
>lives and such.

Actually, we implemented a fate system at Imperium years ago.  Players start
with a small amount of fates to start off with, and have a chance of gaining
additional one every level.  Character death causes a loss of a point until
it reaches 0, upon which the character is deleted.  The system has been
tweaked well enough that only the most sloppy or brazen of players meet the
ultimate fate.

- Greg
Melkor at imperium
imperium.mudservices.com 9000