[MUD-Dev] Re: pet peeves

David Bennett ddt at discworld.imaginary.com
Thu Feb 18 15:16:22 CET 1999

On 2/18/99, at 3:05 PM, Matthew Mihaly wrote:

>Yes, I agree that losing face is a MUCH bigger deal than losing stats. It
>is you vs. the other person, not character v. character. However, when
>death is such an infrequent thing, as it must be in a viable permadeath
>system (Genocide not withstanding), think of how much bigger of a rush you
>will get, knowing that if you fight to the death with your opponent,
>either you or he is going to lose your character entirely.

The trouble with permentant death and many other permenant systems is that
it only requires one idiot who finds a bug, or one idiot who is
deliberately annoying and they can do major damage.  These systems work
well when everyone plays in character...   You cannot rely on people doing
this all the time though, and some people just refuse to.

It is the old newbie killer syndrome...  Permenant death makes these sorts
of abuses just that much more nasty and irreversable.  A system should be
designed to be able to deal with these sorts of people, since they will
show up...

Stabbing wildly with a blunt pencil,
David.

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu