[MUD-Dev] Re: Influential muds

Brandon J. Rickman ashes at pc4.zennet.com
Mon Feb 15 14:42:19 CET 1999

On Mon, 15 Feb 1999, Koster, Raph wrote:
> So my question is something that sort of overlaps material that is in the
> FAQ, but not really. What do you think are the most important and/or
> influential muds, and why? What contributions did they make to the state of
> the art, or what significant muds owe a lot to them?

I'd like to nominate ZenMOO (http://www.zennet.com/pub/moo/zenmoo/html/)
as the Most Important Mud Ever.  First of all it is just about the only
mud devoted to meditation.  And secondly it is a totally brilliant
extrapolation of the most basic mud activity: sitting around and doing
nothing.

If I'm not mistaken, ZenMOO was the inspiration for the highly popular
ZenMaster character class on Ultima Online?

- B