[MUD-Dev] Embedded languages, object persistance... ack.

Laurent Bossavit bossavit at cybercable.fr
Wed Dec 29 23:18:08 CET 1999

Joe Kingry wrote:

> I've been trying to figure this out lately. At first glance I
> generally thought I knew what it was about, but now I'm not so
> sure.

I guess that's why people on this list still spend some (though
definitely most) of their time discussing server ideas. The task of
writing the "perfect" M* server starts to be daunting as soon as you
scratch the surface even a bit, because such a beast a) would be the
foundation for much more than on-line games, if done well, and b)
definitely requires the convergence of multiple, far from trivial
technologies.

Distributed systems, language design, compilation, databases,
persistence are the ones that I think of most readily in connection
with M* server design - your mileage may vary - and each is in and of
itself a vast and complex field of study.

But hey, that's why this is a fun subject. ;)

-[Morendil]-
The impossible we do today; allow one week for miracles.

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu