[MUD-Dev] Collecting ideas for a MUD server... (fwd)

J C Lawrence claw at cp.net
Wed Dec 22 18:03:46 CET 1999

On Wed, 22 Dec 1999 15:18:18 -0600
Greg Miller <gmiller at classic-games.com> wrote:

> NT4 is tolerable for mud use, and Windows 2000 has already
> developed a strong reputation for stability.

<<Warning: I used to make my living doing security programming>>

Please be careful of the difference between "security" in any
absolute sense, and a "reputation for security".  There is a large
philosophical and practical difference between the two.  They do not
even approximate being the same.

A reasonable and even-handed if light weight introduction to the
difference can be found at:

  http://www.zdnet.com/zdtv/cybercrime/story/0,3700,2382021,00.html

"Security Is Not a Product; It's a Process" as Bruce Schneier wrote
in this month's Crypto-Gram:

  http://www.counterpane.com/crypto-gram-9912.html

His discussion of the weaknesses for Public Key Infrastructure also
indirectly pertains to the recent idea of PGP's webs-of-trust among
MUD servers:

  http://www.counterpane.com/pki-risks.html

ObNote: Marcus Ranum of UnterMud and UberMUD fame is a security
guy.  Small world:

  http://www.clark.net/pub/mjr/

He's written some good stuff.

J C Lawrence                              Internet: claw at kanga.nu
----------(*)                            Internet: coder at kanga.nu
...Honorary Member of Clan McFud -- Teamer's Avenging Monolith...

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu