[MUD-Dev] Originality/Points of Reference (was Classes and Races and more (a BIG list) (fwd))

Richard Ross rross at rross.eurobell.co.uk
Tue Dec 21 10:23:29 CET 1999

----- Original Message -----
From: J C Lawrence <claw at cp.net>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Tuesday, December 21, 1999 1:23 AM
Subject: [MUD-Dev] Classes and Races and more (a BIG list) (fwd)

<masses of classes>
<masses of races>

Well thanks! That save me typing out the entire AD&D Monstrous Manual!
Seriously, did most of that race list look familiar or what?  I've been
designing my MUD for a few months now and every time I get stuck I put in
some D&D rules.  That's not a concious decision (I haven't even played it
for four years), I just cobble something together only to have another
designer turn around and say "Oh, you mean like in <insert d&d sourcebook
here>".  Oddly enough I've not ever considered adding in some Shadowrun
stuff (which I play twice weekly and have done for nigh on four years).

This has probably been asked before but I currently lack the facilities to
check...  Are there any -truely- original MUDs out there?  or do players
need points of reference like familiar races/classes, recognisable
societies/governments etc?

Richard

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu