[MUD-Dev] Game design and gender: An interesting article

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Tue Aug 31 14:07:11 CEST 1999

On 12:56 PM 8/31/1999 -0700, I personally witnessed Adam Wiggins jumping up
to say:

>Would you say that Spiderman was designed to appeal to women because of
>his buldging muscles and tight outfit,

Spider-Man was designed to appeal to nerds. You know, people like comic
book artists. He wasn't always as musclebound as he is now. The modern
style of portraying comic characters as being HUGE MUSCLEBOUND PEOPLE is
reasonably recent. The women weren't always so ridiculously drawn, either.

>or that Batman was designed to
>appeal to homosexual men because of his latex outfit and prominent
>codpiece?  Hardly so.  That's just the style.

Two guys named Bruce and Dick who live together and run around at night
wearing tights and capes?

Oh, yeah, that's the style all right. And nooooo, that's not gay at ALL. ;)

>comic book readers are still largely
>preteens who are not even very aware of such obvious sexuality

Actually, comic book demographics are largely sixteen to twenty-five year
old men.

-----

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu