[MUD-Dev] Monthly FAQ Posting

Greg Miller gmiller at classic-games.com
Tue Aug 24 07:00:32 CEST 1999

Marian Griffith wrote:
> Do -NOT- give in to player demands in this!  Multi-classing are the root
> of all evil!

Having classes in the first place is the root of all evil.

> Seriously,  multi-classing is a bad idea because it makes the individual
> players more self sufficient.  It detracts from  the cooperative aspects
> of a mud  and in the end promotes selfish behaviour.  I have seen a

You're assuming that the cooperative aspects are a good thing. I've seen
a lot of work put into reducing group sizes on organized PK muds, for
example, so it's not always a good thing. You also seem to be assuming
that there are no drawbacks, tradeoffs, etc for multiclassing.

> The other problem with it  is that it is near impossible  to balance the
> game once you allow multi-classing. You have, after all, low level char-
> acters running around with top-level equipment.

That's only a problem if you have ridiculously overpower equipment. If a
player's power comes from his character rather than his stuff, equipment
is a nonissue.
--
http://www.classic-games.com/
Conspiracy theorists mistakenly assume others think before acting.

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu