[MUD-Dev] Containing automation?

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Wed Aug 11 10:39:28 CEST 1999

On 11:07 PM 8/10/99 -0400, I personally witnessed Jon A. Lambert jumping up
to say:

>Have you thought about using "upgrade paths", "prerequisites" and
>"corequisites" similar to WarCraft, Civilization or Age of Empires.

There is absolutely no sense to having prerequisites for equipment. That's
like saying you can't buy Miracle Whip except as a mayonnaise upgrade. It's
so ludicrous I refuse to even consider it. Would you play a MUD like this?
Hey, I want a broad sword:

  >enter armory
  You go into the armory.
  >buy broad sword
  You need a long sword to trade for a broad sword.
  >buy long sword
  You need a short sword to trade for a long sword.
  >buy short sword
  You need a dagger to trade for a short sword.
  >buy dagger
  You need a club to trade for a dagger.
  >buy club
  You need a rock to trade for a club.
  >buy rock
  Rocks are not for sale here.
  >leave
  You leave the armory.
  >get rock
  You get a rock.
  >enter armory
  You go into the armory.
  >buy club
  You trade your rock for a club.
  >buy dagger
  You trade your club for a dagger.
  >buy short sword
  You trade your dagger for a short sword.
  >buy long sword
  You trade your short sword for a long sword.
  >buy broad sword
  You trade your long sword for a broad sword.
  >leave
  You leave the armory.
  >chat This game sucks a moldy sloth cock

In the context of the games you mention, it's not purchasing equipment that
has prerequisites. It's *creating* equipment. (Well, maybe not in Warcraft.
I haven't played Warcraft in forever.) This is a wholly different animal.

>In the year 2737, software vendors have perfected security
>mechanisms.

I already have *enough* problems with people wanting to side with the
enemy, thank you. ;)

-----

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu