[MUD-Dev] Censorship, Virtual v Artificial Worlds, Python

Matthew Mihaly diablo at best.com
Fri Apr 30 11:35:51 CEST 1999

On Fri, 30 Apr 1999, Greg Munt wrote:

> I guess my opposition stems from the fact that players are being influenced
> from outside of the game world, rather than from within it. This is a big
> topic in itself, not confined to the censorship issue. I believe that
> external influences to the world make it artificial, and not virtual.

If the lack of external influences on a world make it artificial vs.
virtual (I'm not sure such a distinction is valid) then it's too late,
unless you want to invent new systems of morality that are not based on
real-life ideas of 'justice' and 'fairness', etc. You'd also have to avoid
ever speaking real-life languages like English. I h ave yet to see a game
that is not defined by external influences in fact. Dwarves, elves,
dragons, trolls, etc etc etc are also all a result of external influences.
--matt

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu