[MUD-Dev] Censorship

Matthew Mihaly diablo at best.com
Thu Apr 29 11:00:27 CEST 1999

On Thu, 29 Apr 1999, Ben Greear wrote:

> Greg Munt wrote:
> >
> > or disruption to your game. I'm         aware of some people who have been led to
> > challenging the managers of the game, because they      are insulted by the
> > removal of their freedom of speech. (Not to mention the fact that people
> >       get annoyed at censorship of their comments about cats.)
>
> I'm not too concerned about any legal ramifications.  I mean, if you go
> to the local bar and start yelling obscenities at strangers, I should
> hope that they throw you out on your arse.

I'm not a fan of censorship, but freedom of speech issues don't come into
play here in legal terms. Just as in my house I can toss you out for
whatever I want, in my game, I can toss you out for whatever I want, or
gag you in whatever way I want. Players don't own their characters, the
owners of the game do, and whatever they choose to do to that character is
up to them (I'm speaking of free games here. A pay game would probably be
considered a bit differently in terms of character ownership, but not in
terms of the freedom of speech issue).

--matt

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu