[MUD-Dev] Virtual machine design

claw at kanga.nu claw at kanga.nu
Sun Apr 18 16:34:14 CEST 1999

On Sat, 17 Apr 1999 10:21:21 -0600
Chris Gray <cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA> wrote:

> - if your MUD is disk-based rather than memory based, you need
> accessor functions to get at things. When you are planning on
> thousands of lines of code, its tedious and error prone to have to
> write those calls all over the place. Having an in-MUD language
> means that the code can be visually simpler, and the compiler
> takes care of all of the details. C++ users might be able to
> cleanly hide all of that stuff, but that wasn't an option for me.

Extrapolating slightly:

  A sufficiently well developed base library designed to support
programming your game world is functionally indistinguishable from a
softcode language.

> - MUD languages often have security considerations, such as doing
> things on function entry. Having an in-MUD language makes this
> automatic, rather than manual.

ie you can (easily) dictate and enforce a security model without
relying on the cooperation of arbitrary later programmers.

J C Lawrence                              Internet: claw at kanga.nu
----------(*)                            Internet: coder at kanga.nu
...Honorary Member of Clan McFud -- Teamer's Avenging Monolith...

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu