[MUD-Dev] Getting Started with Mud Server

Wed Apr 7 19:27:19 CEST 1999

[Stormblade:]

 >I have decided to try my hand at creating a mud code base. I think it
 >will be great fun and a good learning experience. Do any of you have
 >some good sources or ideas I can readily get my hands on that will help
 >me with the design of the game?

Welcome to the battle. May you spend as many hours at as some of the rest
of us have! Some of those hours have even been fun. :-) There are lots
of server sources around, such as ScryMud, numerous versions of Diku-style
MUDs, several versions of LPMud, variants of MOO's, etc. The smallest
complete sample I know of is my ToyMUD, which you can find on my website.

 >Any pointers to sources will be appreciated but I'm really looking for
 >your opinions and ideas on the design like what to include in the server
 >and what to place in a dll and so forth.

It may sound trite to say it, but I'd say you should put into DLL's the
stuff that ought to go into DLL's. In other words, don't do it for no
reason other than "I want to use DLL's". DLL version problems can be a
real headache - just ask Microsoft!

An offshoot mailing list, the dev-mud list, is a list devoted to the
actual development of a server by a random group of people. It's been
mostly dead since the new year, but if someone starts looking at it and
posting, it'll likely pick up again. It's worth a try!

--
Don't design inefficiency in - it'll happen in the implementation.

Chris Gray     cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA
               http://www.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA/cg/

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu