[MUD-Dev] In-Game Languages

Hans-Henrik Staerfeldt hhs at cbs.dtu.dk
Wed Apr 7 10:27:36 CEST 1999

On Sun, 4 Apr 1999, Mik Clarke wrote:
>=20
> Eli Stevens (KiZurich) wrote:
>=20
> > Thoughts?  Comments?  Does anyone else have any projects along these =
lines? I
> > remember once, a long time back, KaVir had posted (on alt.mud.program=
ming)
> > some pretty intense code for enforcing naming rules for PCs, making t=
hem
> > conform to a language.  If you are listening, do you still have those=
 (and,
> > more importantly, do you want to share?  :) KaVir?
>=20
> I tried something similer (using random garble rather than an predictab=
le
> translation) and found an interesting problem.  Newbies couldn't commun=
icate
> with anyone in character.  This made it very hard for them to ask quest=
ions,
> find their way around and make friends.  The solution now it to have ev=
eryone
> fluent in English and just let the other languages be garbled to those =
who don't
> know them.
>=20
> Mik

This is perhaps the origin of TSR's (tm,r,c and all that) use of a =20
'Common' language. What fun are elves if you simply can't communicate wit=
them at all.. (except perhaps as an enemy) it simply limits the scope of
the campaigns (both traditional and MUD-wise) if you cannot communicate.
And with a common language, which may be known by some but not all
non-humans you still don't opt out on the campaigns involving language
difficulties (or, just make the elves not _want_ to speak common).

Hans Henrik St=E6rfeldt         | =20
email: bombman at diku.dk        |  voice:      +45 40383492=20
  hhs at cbs.dtu.dk              |  voice work: +45 45252425
phone-mail:                   |  address:
  40383492 at sms.tdm.dk         |       Hans Henrik St=E6rfeldt,
WWW-home                      |       Dybendalsvej 74 2. th,
  http://www.cbs.dtu.dk/hhs/  |       2720 Vanl=F8se, Danmark.

Student of Computer Science   | Scientific programmer at Center for
  and Information Psychology. |   Biological Sequence Analysis,
  at University of Copenhagen |   Technical University of Denmark.

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu