[MUD-Dev] In-Game Languages

Sun Apr 4 10:00:12 CEST 1999

[Eli Stevens:]

 >It works by converting each of the 26 letters of the English alphabet into
 >one of the ten characters that define the language.

This is an interesting technique. Certainly faster than others I've
heard of. I'm curious as to how you came up with it. Is there some
linguistic basis behind needing only ten letters? Certainly the full
26 aren't really needed, but I'm surprised that only 10 are. Can you
give some of the "philosophy" behind this, or was it mostly trial and
error to produce something that works as desired?

How does someone with the given language skill read the output? Do they
simply get the untranslated version, and others get the translated version?
Does this work for written material too? (It could - you would just have
to have a language flag on all text, and do the translation on final
output to the player, so that a player could carry around a Dwarvish
book, and finally read it after learning the skill.)

--
Don't design inefficiency in - it'll happen in the implementation.

Chris Gray     cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA
               http://www.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA/cg/

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu