[MUD-Dev] Re: META: who are we?

Benjamin D. Wiechel strycher at toast.net
Wed Sep 30 18:19:58 CEST 1998

<snip>

>>> How many of you are from a Diku background, like me? And might be
>>> interested in stuff that is codebase specific? How many find that
>>> stuff anathema and think it should be avoided at all costs? How
>>> many think the list is too theoretical, or feel intimidated by
>>> the frequent posters and by the volume of past history and
>>> discussions that seems to be requied knowledge in order to
>>> participate?

Raph:

I am an old-timer to MUDs, although not as old as many others on the list.
I date back to the old LP 2.4.5 driver/lib, around 6 or 7 years ago.  My
memory fails after yesterday, so pardon the inaccuracy. ;)  I grew up on
2.4.5 and 3.1.2, then moved to Amylaar back when LPCC cut over.
Helped set up a few LP muds over the years, and then disappeared from
MUDs for a while.  When I recently returned, I found that the MUD world
had changed in some ways, and stayed static in others.  I find it amazing
that some things I would have upgraded years ago still exist in the old
form.  Now I live in the CDLIB world.  Somewhere in there, I believe I did
a little MudOS.

As for what I like to see, I enjoy seeing any discussion related to game
creation/development, be it from a technical, or a sociological level.  I
tend to find the more abstract theories of societal influence a little more
interesting, but that's just my personal preference.

Strycher....

--
Benjamin D. Wiechel
http://www.toast.net/~strycher/