[MUD-Dev] Re: A little help

Ling K.L.Lo-94 at student.lboro.ac.uk
Tue Sep 29 14:42:56 CEST 1998

On Tue, 29 Sep 1998, Robert Woods wrote:

> A method that I have seen that encourages this well is having different
> ranks of immortals, based on achievement.
>
> Here's a model that I have seen is:

[snipped lots of levels of achievement]

> I come from an LPMud background (MudOS driver, Nightmare/Foundation
> mudlibs) and have found that this system tends to help.  People get a sense
> of achievement in being able to achieve a new level, gain more power,
> etc...plus, they tend to take some of the "slave-driving" work from you
> when you assign an Elder+ a new Initiate.

I find this 'tried-and-tested' heirarchy ironic, given that most (large)
businesses strive for an open management style, as flat as is possible.
Bear in mind what management knowledge I know is from various lectures and
videos I've been forced to take in as opposed to first hand experience.

One mud I visited admitted they used an internal numeric representation
for 'wiz levels', not because it is actually useful but so they can award
them to wizzes for actually doing something.

I personally find this distasteful, I hope never to use anything like
this but deep down, I know this horrendous Victorian approach works.

_O_O_  Elec Eng Dept, Loughborough University, UK.     kllo at iee.org