[MUD-Dev] Re: let's call it a spellcraft

Vadim Tkachenko vt at freehold.crocodile.org
Sun Sep 27 02:12:09 CEST 1998

Travis Casey wrote:

[skipped]

> Also, look for the "waving hands" spellcasting game... it's a game
> where you build spells by using a series of hand positions, revealing
> them at a rate of one per turn... but the players can see each others
> hand positions, and some of the spells are counterspells.  Thus, you
> can start building one spell, see that your opponent is doing spell Y,
> then decide to switch to spell Z, which happens to start with the last
> couple of gestures you were just doing...

Quick note @ 2AM:

It is possible to pre-program the spell using the waving hands technique
in such a way that it may become automatic later.

Say, I just program a sequence of gestures. And there's a try/catch pair
for each one, for example (look up the original definition) if the
sequence handler sees the opponent preparing to cast a fireball, it will
try to cast the fire protection and so on. The trick is, no catch by
default, so either you will have to program every catch just by thinking
it over, or by trial and error ;-)

--
Still alive and smile stays on,
Vadim Tkachenko <vt at freehold.crocodile.org>