[MUD-Dev] Re: Unix is a mud (Re: Ugh, IS Diablo a mud?)

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Sat Sep 26 16:35:45 CEST 1998

On 26 Sep 98, Ola Fosheim Gr=B0stad wrote:
> J C Lawrence wrote:
> > On Sat, 26 Sep 1998 00:06:52 -5
> > Jon A Lambert<jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> >
> > > A much better question to ask, is why is there such a strong desire
> > > to refine a criterion carefully crafted to insure specific games and
> > > servers like Quake, C&C, Diablo and the habitats remain on the
> > > fringes of mud-dom?
> >
> > And thus the circle closes: MUD-Dev is itself a MUD.
>
> Do you really feel a strong real time "presence" in Mud-dev?

Ah, but isn't this another arbitrary classification of mud, "real
time".  Mud-dev is a turn-based mud.  ;)

Mud-dev has solved many of the perceived problems associated with
user-scripting and cheating.  One cannot "advance" on mud-dev
through the use of scripted respones.  JC has started a list Meta
thread (OOC?) which in essence is discussing 'list advancement' and
'game-balance'.  Do some users have a perception that certain
posts (or posters) are too high level?  Do list newbies fear posting
in the same manner as they fear a PK?

Ok, maybe some of you  may have strong suspicions my responses are
scripted.  I'll admit I have strong suspicions some posters are
cheating when they use phrases like "well X comes for free in my
implementation".  :P

> Anyway, I would say that Unix has more MUD aspects to it than
> MUD-Dev, even than some MUDs according to some of the criterions I
> have seen on this list. Unix is multi-user, has a wholist,
> buildingcapabilities, chatting, talk, etc etc. Different character
> (user) classes. Fightingcapabilities (freewheeling forks, diskspace
> usage, printer queues, hacking). It is also a persistent and
> changing world (filesystem). There is plenty to explore for the
> players. :-P Unix also provides user descriptions (.plan) and stats.

Nod.

> What's the bloody point in discussing a classification system
> without discussing the purpose?

We are asking exactly the same question.  Nobody is answering it.
I also agree that it may be a "politically" motivated question.
I have no desire to see the list come to any agreement whatsoever
on the definition.  Why?  Because it logically follows that if
one successfully "nails this jelly to a tree" it will stiffen and dry
up making discussions of IRC social interaction, graphical servers,
game play in Zork and Diablo, pure story-telling, habitats, etc.
off-topic and therefore low-signal.

> My primary concern is usage, hence I don't see Unix as a typical MUD
> system. Although I am willing to view it as a MUD if the usage meets
> my requirements. I have seen Unix systems being used in a MUD-like
> fashion in the CS-labs. (Exploring the filesystem of a big UNIX site
> can be very exciting for a newbie.)
>
> (Btw: AFAIK Electric Communities' new habitat is not server based,
> but still provides the same functionality. There you go, you
> technically oriented classifying racists.) -- Ola

Yeah, I find the attempts at technical classification to be
more disturbing than user usage.  :(

--
--/*\ Jon A. Lambert - TychoMUD     Internet:jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com /*\--
--/*\ Mud Server Developer's Page <http://www.netcom.com/~jlsysinc> /*\--