[MUD-Dev] Re: Unix is a mud (Re: Ugh, IS Diablo a mud?)

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Sat Sep 26 13:44:00 CEST 1998

On 03:14 PM 9/26/98 +0200, I personally witnessed Ola Fosheim Gr=F8stad
jumping up to say:
>J C Lawrence wrote:
>>=20
>> And thus the circle closes: MUD-Dev is itself a MUD.
>
>Do you really feel a strong real time "presence" in Mud-dev?=20

I do. When I post to the list, I often do so immediately after someone else
says something intersting, and in turn receive responses in a matter of
minutes. I feel very much like some -- though not all -- of the discussions
here take place in something very close to real time.=20

>Anyway, I would say that Unix has more MUD aspects to it than MUD-Dev, even
>than some MUDs according to some of the criterions I have seen on this=
 list.

I said that on some MUSH list a long time ago, and everyone crawled right
up my ass about it. I hope this list is more open-minded. ;)

>My primary concern is usage, hence I don't see Unix as a typical MUD=
 system.
>Although I am willing to view it as a MUD if the usage meets my
>requirements. I have seen Unix systems being used in a MUD-like fashion in
>the CS-labs. (Exploring the filesystem of a big UNIX site can be very
>exciting for a newbie.)

Even if it's just a newbie to THAT SYSTEM. I've used Unix for a long time,
and exploring a new server often leads to nifty discoveries like commands
you thought no one used anymore, games you had forgotten all about, man
pages you can actually read, etc. I accidentally discovered that a given
Unix system had been hacked into AVATAR compatibility the sysadmin, which
excited me greatly and made it lots of fun to set up displays on that
machine. :)

Caliban Tiresias Darklock <caliban at darklock.com>   | "I'm not sorry or=20
Darklock Communications <http://www.darklock.com/> |  ashamed of who I=20
PGP Key AD21EE50 at <http://pgp5.ai.mit.edu/~bal/> |  really am."     =20