[MUD-Dev] Re: META: What are you looking for in this list?

Fri Sep 25 22:16:33 CEST 1998

J C Lawrence wrote:
> >> I'm actively considering posting the next monthly MUD-Dev advert
> >> (suitably reworded) to rec.games.programming, rec.games.design,
> >> and possibly an IF group as well as rgm.announce/admin.
>
> > What about the artificial life groups? (carefully reworded?)
>
> Sure.  I'm not familiar with them.  Care to suggest some, and
> applicable rewordings?

Maybe comp.ai.games and comp.ai.alife ?  I think the rewording could focus
on MUDs as a platform for large scale alife experiments with UO as an
example of an emerging trend (?). Then of course explain that mud-dev is
multi disiplinary and that mud related ai discussions would be seen as a
valuable addition.

What could be a better test for a Genetic Evolution approach than evolved
monsters slayed by human players?

> > be related to MUDs...  I just hope that those with the radically
> > new visions don't stop posting to this list if/when it is flooded
> > with such issues, because I haven't seen them anywhere else.

> <nod>
>
> If and when it becoems a problem I'll handle as I see fit.  I don't
> see this as an area which is suited to the blanket application of
> rules.  So far what we have seems to work and I'm willing to
> continue with it for the nonce.

Are you sure it isn't happening already?  The last time I saw such a thread
in the past 3 months was when you described your own system. *shrug*
--
Ola