[MUD-Dev] Re: let's call it a spellcraft

Vadim Tkachenko vt at freehold.crocodile.org
Fri Sep 25 21:31:56 CEST 1998

Niklas Elmqvist wrote:

[skipped]
> Of course, this kind of balancing system almost *requires* that we use a
> fixed-spell system (that is, a system where the spells are defined by the
> admins instead of created by the players) -- otherwise, it is very hard
> for the server to determine that two very different spell snippets might
> do the same thing, and thus reduce the efficiency of the spell. (You could
> do some kind of calculation on the required power "types" for spells,
> though... Such as many people using spells requiring Fire, and
> consequently, the efficiency of fire spells are reduced.)

Here the world balance comes into play - you have the total amount of
magic energy constant (to be exact, depending on the number of players)
and make a process of acquiring the needed power proportionally
difficult. Also, the old theme about god's energetics comes around ;-)

--
Still alive and smile stays on,
Vadim Tkachenko <vt at freehold.crocodile.org>