[MUD-Dev] Re: let's call it a spellcraft

Vadim Tkachenko vt at freehold.crocodile.org
Thu Sep 24 00:55:15 CEST 1998

According to Jon A. Lambert:
> Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 01:23:59 -5

> I agree,  we should always attempt an implementation  in terms 0, 1
> and many(unknown/infinity/X).  There are exceptions and instances
> where we must pay homage at some level to the failings of our
> silicon, but these should be rare and abstracted if possible.
>
> It begs the question, "Is the fixed dimensional array evil?"

Ultimately, yes. If even you say that it doesn't make sense to do it
variable because of, say, the OS limitations - who says the OS is gonna be
there forever? (side note: WORA...)

Typical consequences of the "numerical mindset":

8.3 filesystem
Y2K problem in multiple variants (including Unix Y2038)
buffer overflow bug (LINGERING FOR DECADES!!!)

Draw your conslusions...

--
Still alive and smile stays on,
Vadim Tkachenko <vt at freehold.crocodile.org>