[MUD-Dev] Re: Ugh, IS Diablo a mud?

Koster Koster
Wed Sep 23 10:05:01 CEST 1998

Many of the early muds in fact reset the entire world, because they were
based around the concept of a scavenger hunt. You tried to gather as
many of the hunt items as you could, and drop them in a central location
to score points. You can still see remnants of this design in AberMUDs
and their descendants, including the ubiquitous town squares in
Diku-derivatives... so in fact many of the early muds were not really
very persistent.

I do like the definition though, in that it states that the difference
between a Diku and Diablo is that Dikus are not persistent because of a
code failure, and Diablo is not persistent by design.

> Player-driven means that the
> outcome of the game is based on the actions of the player.
> Again, Diablo looses
> out, as there is only one outcome of the game unless you
> quit, which is killing
> diablo. The fact that Diablo is so one-track percludes it
> from me being able to
> categorize it as a MUD.

Hmm, I quite successfully played Diablo without even trying to kill the
boss monsters (what passed for a plot in the game). What about PKMud or
HoloMUD or other such single-track muds? I am quite willing to exclude
them on this basis, but I'd note that they do exist, and many count them
as being muds.

-Raph