(subject missing)

Vladimir Prelovac tomcat at galeb.etf.bg.ac.yu
Tue Sep 22 13:28:20 CEST 1998

  I began writing something I call "the Portal Project". Of course, its my=
 vision of a perfect roleplaying environment. After having discussed things=
 of basic concept with my friends and builders I came across the following=
 problem. Since I would like, more then anything, to settle and play this=
 world once its finished, I dont want to be "unbalanced" with other players=
 by the thing I coded the whole thing. Not that I dont trust other coders,=
 but I just want to have everything under my control, when it comes to=
 code.
  The spells are one of my concerns. I am looking for a spell system, that=
 would be possible to code, and would let the spellcasters create new=
 spells in the game. Something like spell researching. What I, so far, have=
 in mind is making a base of 50 or 100 various effects that a spell may=
 produce. Then making a base of 50-60 basic spells (as a combination of=
 those effects) which the player can start with (finding runes near his=
 village, a local wizard teacher, a wandering mage... ). ALL the other=
 spells shall become to existance by the spellcasting players themselves=
 (ie. after some time spend on research, mixing various material and such,=
 a mage could come up with a new spell). He would then give it a name,=
 write it to his spellbook, and maybe teach it to his friends. That way the=
 new spell, carrying the name he gave it, would be tought in the lands for=
 generations after. Do you have any ideas on this, advice or such. (I've=
 downloaded the list archives and have just started browsing it, and didnt=
 come to any such discussion yet. Heh, did you know there are more than=
 20,000 sheets of paper there? :)

Cheers,
	Vladimir.