[MUD-Dev] Re: lurker emerges

Wed Sep 16 20:18:26 CEST 1998

[J C Lawrence:]

Hmm. This is under an odd subject, but what the heck...

 >A common approach:
 >
 >  fork a child.
 >
 >  Have the child fork the editor.
 >
 >  Have the child catch the SIGCHILD from the editor.
 >
 >  Have the child send a normal IPC message (pipe, whatever) to the
 >  parent before terminating silently (turn off SIGCHILD).
 >
 >  Have the parent respond to the message whenever it wants.
 >
 >True, its nasty, ugly, and brutish as well as being inelegant and
 >resource expensive.  It also works.

OK. Sounds good. But, if you are going to signal completion via a
socket message to the main process, and have the main process ignore
SIGCHLD, why do you need the extra level of fork/exec? Oh... duh! So
that someone can send the message, since the editor won't! I've
written this down as 'to do' - thanks for the suggestion!

--
Chris Gray     cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA