[MUD-Dev] Re: [CODE QUESTION] How to encode floats into bytes?

Ben Greear greear at cyberhighway.net
Wed Sep 9 18:28:56 CEST 1998

On Wed, 9 Sep 1998, Adam J. Thornton wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 09, 1998 at 10:26:19AM -0700, J C Lawrence wrote:
> > > It would seem like there would be a method to do this somewhere!
> > Yup: roll your own or rely on everybody using IEEE floats (which in
> > the microcomputer (as versus mini or host) world is getting close to
> > universal).
>
> Or decide that you don't really need blinding speed, figure out how much
> precision you need, and use sprintf()/sscanf().  This would be my tactic,
> because I'm lazy.

Highly tempting!  However, I expect bandwidth to be a bottleneck,
and will probably be dealing with a great deal of floating point data.
Once I get it working, I think it will be easy and fast to use..so it's
worth it to do the work now...

Of course, it aint done yet..so I may yet do the good ole sprintf :)

Thought about splitting it into two integers at the decimal too :)

Ben

> Adam
> --
> adam at princeton.edu
> "There's a border to somewhere waiting, and a tank full of time." - J. Steinman
>
> --
> MUD-Dev: Advancing an unrealised future.

Ben Greear (greear at cyberhighway.net)  http://www.primenet.com/~greear
Author of ScryMUD:  mud.primenet.com 4444
http://www.primenet.com/~greear/ScryMUD/scry.html