[MUD-Dev] Re: Wild idea.. :)

Ben Greear greear at cyberhighway.net
Fri Sep 4 20:32:06 CEST 1998

On Fri, 4 Sep 1998, Vadim Tkachenko wrote:

> Ben Greear wrote:
>
> [skipped]
>
> > One issue I was working on:  each object must have a unique identifier
> > across the entire universe of servers.  This is for permanent storage
> > problems, ie DB key, however you do your DB.  I will use a unique ID
> > for each server, and increment a 64 bit number on the server itself.
>
> ... which reminds me a story about IP numbers and IPv6. Don't you think
> it's funny?
>
> > If it wraps..well, then the game is over, big bang kinda thing! :)
>
> I didn't read anything on IPv6 (just because there's no motivation
> currently), but remember hearing that it has variable length address. Is
> it true? Do you think you can engage this kind of solution?

It has 128 bit addressing.  I'm using an int for the host id, so I can
always increment it (I doubt I'll use up that space) if it's ever a
problem.

> But anyway, I guess, all I said doesn't fit nicely into the relational
> DB.

Been thinking about using a DB as opposed to writing my own single
minded DB.  One thing, would be nice not to have to write one, but
at the same time, I can't easily require ppl to install a DB on their
system, especially cross platform.

Right now, I'm leaning towards coding my own..as I have to do a bunch
of encoding work anyway to get the mobile objects to work across
servers.  (ie, encode...put-on-socket...decode)

> > Ben Greear (greear at cyberhighway.net)  http://www.primenet.com/~greear
>
> --
> Still alive and smile stays on,
> Vadim Tkachenko <vt at freehold.crocodile.org>
> --
> UNIX _is_ user friendly, he's just very picky about who his friends are
>
> --
> MUD-Dev: Advancing an unrealised future.

Ben Greear (greear at cyberhighway.net)  http://www.primenet.com/~greear
Author of ScryMUD:  mud.primenet.com 4444
http://www.primenet.com/~greear/ScryMUD/scry.html