[MUD-Dev] Re: Wild idea.. :)

Ben Greear greear at cyberhighway.net
Thu Sep 3 22:35:50 CEST 1998

On Thu, 3 Sep 1998, Adam J. Thornton wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 02, 1998 at 09:41:58PM -0700, Ben Greear wrote:
> > I'm considering writing the servers in java for all the normal
> > reasons, and there will probably be a java client sitting under
> > the graphics on the client's (player's) machine.
>
> I decided against Java for my stuff, which was hard, since Java has great
> networking and threading support out of the box.

Every other day, I change my mind, but I think I'll go with Java in
the end.  I may hate that decision later, but..well, so be it :)

One day Sun or IBM will come up with some JIT or other tech that
makes it all quicker...and in the meantime, if needed, I can buy
some package that translates it into native code.

> C, but A) applies there too.  Although I'm really tempted to rewrite part
> of the core in Perl 5.005-threaded and see how much slower it is.

I know how you feel.  Everytime I run java on Linux, I'm appalled
at the speed, but the wintel/sun numbers are getting fast..so linux
will too, eventually.  Hopefully, we'll all have quad PX 1000's
by then anyway... or K9 1000's...who knows :)

> Adam
> --
> adam at princeton.edu
> "There's a border to somewhere waiting, and a tank full of time." - J. Steinman
>
> --
> MUD-Dev: Advancing an unrealised future.

Ben Greear (greear at cyberhighway.net)  http://www.primenet.com/~greear
Author of ScryMUD:  mud.primenet.com 4444
http://www.primenet.com/~greear/ScryMUD/scry.html