[MUD-Dev] Re: Wild idea.. :)

Ben Greear greear at cyberhighway.net
Thu Sep 3 21:10:35 CEST 1998

On Wed, 2 Sep 1998, Marc Hernandez wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Sep 1998, Ben Greear wrote:
>
> }So, who here is considering writing a server that talks (only)
> }with a graphical client.  And not just a web browser.  I'm talking
> }fully 3-d rendering with all the assembly (or whatever) that goes
> }with it.
>
> 	Which happily (though assembly isnt bad) is not much anymore.  Now
> it seems to be making sure you only send the rasterizer x many triangles
> (where x is somewhere between 3000 and 8000 per frame in batches of 30-50)
> and sort the triangles based on what texture they are.

That's comforting :)

> }I personally, don't know diddly about high end graphics, or even
> }non-java GUI programming, so doing such a client would be out
> }of my real.
> }Does anyone know of any (GNU or similarly licensed) thing that
> }might function as such a client, if one could supply the back
> }end?
>
> 	There are a couple that seem ok.  The only thing is usually they
> are indoor engines.

I was thinking space based...mostly black..with ships/planets etc
in the foreground.  I'll give these guys a look and see what I can see.

> http://www.genesis3d.com/
> http://crystal.linuxgames.com/
>
> 	With genesis it seems you get a lib to link to with crystal you
> get complete source.  Im looking at implementing a landscape engine and
> possibly include it into crystal spaces portal based technology (or
> creating my own indoor engine...).
>

> Marc Hernandez		marc at eisoftware.com
> Programmer		www.eisoftware.com
>

> --
> MUD-Dev: Advancing an unrealised future.

Ben Greear (greear at cyberhighway.net)  http://www.primenet.com/~greear
Author of ScryMUD:  mud.primenet.com 4444
http://www.primenet.com/~greear/ScryMUD/scry.html