[MUD-Dev] Re: Wild idea.. :)

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Wed Sep 2 23:05:38 CEST 1998

On 09:41 PM 9/2/98 -0700, I personally witnessed Ben Greear jumping up to say:

>So, who here is considering writing a server that talks (only)
>with a graphical client.  And not just a web browser.  I'm talking
>fully 3-d rendering with all the assembly (or whatever) that goes
>with it.

You mean like Quake? <GDR>

I have some fundamental problems with the idea of this, namely that in
order to create a client and server that do this effectively, you have to
make some pretty severe tradeoffs in functionality. But that's a big hairy
religious issue, so I'll just leave it at saying "I don't think a graphical
client would appropriately or effectively support what I want to do."

And yes, a lot of people are discussing this sort of thing. I don't know
how seriously they're considering it, but I've often thought that it might
be very cool indeed to do something with an interface very much like
Dungeon Keeper -- you look at the world in a sort of 3D isomorphic view
most of the time, for perspective, but you can jump down into first-person
mode and get that full rendering effect. (Of course, DK's rendering is a
lot more like Doom than Quake... and honestly, the build interface is more
or less like Wolf3D.)

It might be really cool to do a graphical/text client. Something where you
can have a text mode interface *and* a graphical interface. I'd like that a
lot. I'd be really impressed by it. I'd jump from mode to mode depending on
what I was doing. Hanging around chatting, use text mode. Exploring, use
isomorphic. Fighting, use first person. That would rock.

Caliban Tiresias Darklock <caliban at darklock.com>   | "I'm not sorry or
Darklock Communications <http://www.darklock.com/> |  ashamed of who I
PGP Key AD21EE50 at <http://pgp5.ai.mit.edu/~bal/> |  really am."
FREE KEVIN MITNICK! <http://www.kevinmitnick.com/> |  - Charles Manson