[MUD-Dev] Re: Why mudules and some other questions.

Ben Greear greear at cyberhighway.net
Sat Oct 31 23:07:24 CET 1998

On Sat, 31 Oct 1998, Vadim Tkachenko wrote:

> Ola Fosheim Gr=F8stad wrote:
> >=20
> > Vadim Tkachenko wrote:
> > >
> > > One of other threads discussed the drawbacks of the downtime. From my
> > > standpoint, this is exactly it: the point of having the dynamic loadi=
ng
> > > is to eliminate the downtime.
> >=20
> > Is lag downtime? (clever question I guess)
> >=20
> > (explanation: if it reboot causes 5 seconds delay then there will be no
> > difference from regular lag)
>=20
> OK, take everything below not as attempt to be a smart<censored>, but as
> attempt to resolve the complicated issue. I'm not sure that I'm right
> everywhere, so let's get back to business.
>=20
> Seriously, I don't believe that you will have reset time even close to 5
> seconds. On the other hand, the lag can get up to minutes sometimes, but
> that's something you can't control, so forget that.

I have this huge chunk of hacked together, ansi-text storing gibberish,
and it reboots in around 3-4 seconds.  Good thing, too, cause it reboots
at least once a day :)

If you are going to go with dynamic loading and all that fun stuff,
has any thought gone to using Java?  It's built straight into the
language...

Has any research been done to see if something like you want already
exists?  Surely this is not the first time this idea has cropped up.

Also, IMHO, text games are ramping down a long bell curve.  It seems new
projects such as this DevMUD might want to consider designing in hooks
that would allow new, possibly graphical clients, to connect.  In other
words, no raw telnet here, just message passing from client to server to
client...=20

Of course, someone would write a telnet server interface so us
text people can keep on keeping on.

Ben Greear (greear at cyberhighway.net)  http://www.primenet.com/~greear=20
Author of ScryMUD:  mud.primenet.com 4444
http://www.primenet.com/~greear/ScryMUD/scry.html