[MUD-Dev] Re: DevMUD: Inheritable modules

Darrin Hyrup shades at mythicgames.com
Fri Oct 30 12:18:58 CET 1998

At 02:12 PM 10/30/98 +0100, Niklas Elmqvist wrote:

>[Jon Leonard:]
>> My current thoughts on this:
>>
>> I don't want to use C++, because it doesn't have the object model I want.
>[snip]
>
>Not to be grumpy or anything, Jon, but... I thought that the DevMUD
>project would involve members on the list. I really would like to make a
>difference, I've tried to offer my view on things and I would appreciate
>if vital design issues such as this are discussed throughly.  I, at least,
>have tried to make a point about my design ideas being suggestions, not
>"laying down the law".

None of us can 'lay down the law' so to speak.  This is a team project, and
thus needs to be made a decision by the group.  Of course, this also means
that we can get held up for a long time while debating things.  Which is
why I have been pushing for organizing the project into teams with team
leaders in the typical tree structure... so there is a path to guarantee
decisions are made, by those parts of the team that are directly affected
by it, and not have to be involved in things that do not effect them.
(i.e., everyone is effected by the language issue, but people working in
the network i/o module aren't affected by the number of bytecodes used by
the VM development group.)

>C++ does not have the object model *you* want. Should there not be a
>discussion about the feeling of other potential contributors on this list
>(even non-contributor will probably have *very* useful things to say,
>given the talents on this list)? Or at least more motivation than your
>personal preferences.  If we can discuss it, I am sure we can come up with
>a much better and more objective solution.

I agree.

>[rest of discussion clipped]

In any case, I have no bias one way or the other.  I prefer C++ in most of
my projects, but there are definate advantages to going with C to open this
project to a wider potential audience.  I'm personally not a Java person,
and its probably too slow for this kind of thing anyway, so if its a vote,
I'd go with C for the server itself, but make an O-O in-game implementation
language one of the priorities.  The modules could theoretically be written
in any language that the developer wished, but any of the 'core' modules
should probably be in C (or ANSI C++) for ease of modification.

>> Jon Leonard
>
>-- Niklas Elmqvist (d97elm at dtek.chalmers.se) ----------------------

Best,

Darrin