[MUD-Dev] Re: DevMUD module configuration

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Mon Oct 26 21:31:30 CET 1998

On Mon, 26 Oct 1998 19:41:20 -0800
Bruce Mitchener,<bruce at puremagic.com> wrote:

> One might consider looking at ACE,
> http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ACE.html, which was brought up
> briefly on the list some months ago.

Brief commentary: ACE is impressive in scope, design qualities,
performance, portability, integration and in over-arching ambition.
It works and works well.  The only problem with ACE is that it is so
all-inclusive and extensive, and the bits are so tightly and well tied
to each other that you're effectively forced to either take all of it
or to not use it at all.

  Translation: To use ACE you have to follow the ACE way for
everything that ACE does.

The ACE way happens to be a pretty good way and a very carefully
examined way, but it should be examined in the light of your more
specific design considerations.

Another good library (one which I've used very heavily and have come
to really like) is OSE:

  http://www.dscpl.com.au/
  http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/ose/ose-home.html

OSE is far less comprehensive than ACE, as well as far less ambitious.
It does what it does rather well tho, and I happen to really like some
of its base design points.

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at kanga.nu
----------(*)                             Internet: coder at kanga.nu