[MUD-Dev] Re: PDMud thread summary

James Wilson jwilson at rochester.rr.com
Sat Oct 24 21:41:12 CEST 1998

On Sat, 24 Oct 1998, ApplePiMan at aol.com wrote:
>At 10/23/98 9:02 PM James Wilson (jwilson at rochester.rr.com) altered the
>fabric of reality by uttering:
>
>>Then of course you'd have to choose what sort of gc you want. copying?
>>compacting? mark-and-sweep? generational? train? different people would
>>probably want radically different things (for some it may not be an issue).
>
>Not an issue to me... but probably mostly because I haven't the vaguest
>idea what you're talking about. <g> Could you perhaps point those of us
>ignorant of such matters to a good resource for learning about the
>various gc schemes?

see <url:ftp://ftp.cs.utexas.edu/pub/garbage/bigsurv.ps> for one
survey. Or try
<url:http://www.cs.ukc.ac.uk/people/staff/rej/gcbib/gcbibW.html>.

I have difficulty imagining a system in which the choice of gc algorithm
is up to each module, which would seem to imply that gc would have to go
in the core with threading and dynamic loading.

James