[MUD-Dev] Re: Bruce Sterling on Virtual Community goals

Wed Oct 21 23:06:00 CEST 1998

[Jon A. Lambert:]

 >IIRC, Java makes use of 4 psuedo-registers in addition to a stack.

Nitpick time. I've read the JVM book, and just went and looked. All
I could find was an SP and a PC per thread. Nothing else. Given
implementations might find it useful to have a frame pointer or
perhaps a pointer to the constant pool.

In my byte-code I added a frame pointer. That was really only to make
the disassemblies easier to read, if I remember correctly. You can
always address locals and parameters relative to the SP, by having
the code generator keep track of changing stack height.

--
Chris Gray     cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA