[MUD-Dev] Re: Bruce Sterling on Virtual Community goals

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Mon Oct 19 21:45:34 CEST 1998

On Mon, 19 Oct 1998 22:42:46 -0600
Chris Gray<cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA> wrote:

<kof>  Attributions.  <kof>

>>  I'd be much more tempted to go with one of the several readily
>> available embeddable languages that is already out there (and
>> hopefully reasonably well tuned).  Python comes to mind as one
>> example -- just add in a coule default modules to handle your data
>> model and such trivia and you're away.

> Perhaps, but that just shows you aren't a programming language geek
> like me. Writing languages is *fun*. OK, so I'm wierd. My very brief
> exposure to Python leaves me not too pleased with it - too OO! I'll
> use OO when I judge it appropriate, not all the time (same problem
> with Java, unfortunately). So shoot me! :-)

This is actually one of the bits I rather liked about Python.  It is
in basic structure extremely OO, but lends itself very easily to
writing very non-OO procedural scripts.  Thus I found it a very easy
and comfortable hacking language, as well as one to write full-scale
applications in.

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at kanga.nu
----------(*)                             Internet: coder at kanga.nu