[MUD-Dev] Re: Marian's Tailor vs. Psychopaths

ApplePiMan at aol.com ApplePiMan at aol.com
Thu Oct 1 01:41:34 CEST 1998

At 9/24/98 12:42 PM Raph Koster (rkoster at origin.ea.com) altered the
fabric of reality by uttering:

>This leads to an interesting conclusion for mud design--penalties won't
>solve your playerkiller problem. Helping them gain empathy will.
>
>---end quote
>
>Anyone got a handy-dandy set of tactics for this? :)
>
>Classic ones are general community building ones, but these don't
>necessarily target your troublemaking population. I have an essay on
>community building tools at http://mud.sig.net/raph/gaming/essay6.html
>but none of them seem REALLY aimed at empathy-building.

Maybe I'm just stating the obvious here, but the surest way to promote
empathy is to make empathetic actions an IC goal, and reward it
accordingly. I would think that one possible way to do that is to
implement Status that increases with random acts of kindness. Your Status
then aids you in negotiations and any socio-political undertakings (in
simple English, you become a 'big shot' in the community, which
ultimately can affect your wealth and just about everything else). If
being nice to someone garners rewards then, like Pavlov's dogs =), your
players should begin catching on, especially if the rewards are coupled
with correcsponding punishments (loss of status) for un-empathetic
actions.

That raises tons of implementation issues, but my skills are as a
meta-designer, not an implementor. I leave it as an exercise for the list
to determine the best way to make it work. =)

-Rick Buck.

Rick Buck, President and CEO  <mailto:rlb at big-i.com>
Beyond Infinity Games, Inc.
3408 S. Rusk St.   |   Amarillo, TX 79109-4830
And you thought the Universe was BIG... (sm)

See you in The Metaverse! <http://www.big-i.com>