[MUD-Dev] Game library notes

J C Lawrence claw at under.engr.sgi.com
Thu Nov 19 13:29:25 CET 1998

------- Forwarded Message
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 11:48:05 -0800 (PST)
From: Bevan Schroeder <bevan at foo.net>
To: "D. Dante Lorenso" <dante at lorenso.com>
cc: svlug at svlug.org
Subject: Re: [svlug] Any X11 Game developers on this list?

...JCL deletia...

I have a game-friendly, fast API for xlib included in my game
"Roids" at http://maxx.foo.net/~bevan/roids.html It's called blib.
It's pretty much end-of-life'd, as I'm using gtk now, and when I
next go to game programming it will probably be back to OpenGL.
Nevertheless, it supports shared-memory ximages, and it's very easy
to use.  I would recommend it for simple games or real-time simple
apps like fractal browsers or raytracers (both of which I've written
in it), but for apps that are heavy on the user interface or require
3-D support, it's the wrong choice.  There are a number of other
linux game programming pages linked from the web ring at the bottom
of the above URL.  I've seen at least five "THE __ONLY__ SOURCE
YOU'LL EVER NEED FOR PROGRAMMING LINUX GAMES!!" web pages, most of
them are in the ring.  :) If you plan on incorporating sound, I
recommend MikMod for music, or the sound library in my game for just
sound effects.  I couldn't get MikMod to play wav files like it's
supposed to.  The sound library I used is an improved version of the
library used by xgalaga and xkoules.  In the act of improving it,
though, I broke all the other-unix support.  It should be easy to
put back in, but nobody's sent me any patches yet.  My thoughts
after writing my own xlib toolkit: it wasn't that bad.  A lot of
games (and screensavers) are written in xlib itself.

...JCL deletia...

------- End of Forwarded Message

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at kanga.nu
(Contractor)                              Internet: coder at kanga.nu