[MUD-Dev] Re: Spell components, chemistry, and the like...

Ben Greear greear at cyberhighway.net
Wed Nov 11 19:23:16 CET 1998

On Wed, 11 Nov 1998, Ling wrote:

> nuggets on it to absorb the carbon.  Then there's the rather funky
> technique that produces blades that have wavy dark-light bands because the
> blacksmiths varied the carbon content, Damocles blades, I think.  This is
> what I like about rpgs, learning random stuff like this!

Just for trivia:

Actually, it's Damascus blades.  They are made by layering high
carbon steel which is very hard, but brittle, with softer, more
pliable steel.  This ideally yields a blade that will hold an
edge, but that will not shatter if bashed against some poor fool's
noggin!

There's a city over in Turkey (or nearby..forget my geography)
called Damascus...  I would hazzard a guess that folks from there
invented it, but I don't really know.  Anyone know?  Been meaning
to shore up that piece of my trivia knowledge for a while :)

Ben

>   |    Ling Lo (cod)
> _O_O_  kllo at iee.org
>

> --
> MUD-Dev: Advancing an unrealised future.

Ben Greear (greear at cyberhighway.net)  http://www.primenet.com/~greear
Author of ScryMUD:  mud.primenet.com 4444
http://www.primenet.com/~greear/ScryMUD/scry.html