[MUD-Dev] Re: Random Quest Generation

Fri Nov 6 14:03:15 CET 1998

[Christian Loth:]

 >  Now, if anyone out there has a different approach...I'd like to discuss
 >models of random quest generation; also (of course as creator of the
 >above model I'm sort of 'blind' to its flaws :) ), I'd be happy if people
 >could point out possible flaws of the above system.

There was a discussion on random quest generation a few months ago. I
don't recall any conclusions, other than something like "its hard to
make interesting quests automatically". However, I think that anything
is likely a lot better than nothing! I don't have direct experience
with these, myself, so can't say much. I do recall that one suggestion
for adding more variety/interest was to have meta-quests that are
composed of several smaller quests joined end-to-end. E.g. when the
player completes one quest segment, they get information (scroll,
message from NPC, whatever) directing them onto the next phase of the
meta-quest. Shouldn't be too hard to add on top of an existing quest
generator.

--
Don't design inefficiency in - it'll happen in the implementation. - me

Chris Gray     cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA