[MUD-Dev] Re: My vision for DevMUD

ApplePiMan at aol.com ApplePiMan at aol.com
Wed Nov 4 22:04:47 CET 1998

At 11/4/98 7:13 PM J C Lawrence (claw at under.engr.sgi.com) altered the
fabric of reality by uttering:

>Please note that the GPL does not prohit or even constrain
>commercial use of GPL code.  It __only__ comes into play when the
>GPL derived product is sold or otherwise transfered to others.
>Rendering a __service__ via GPL code does not invoke the infectious
>aspects of the GPL, only trying to sell, trade, give away, or
>otherwise exchange the GPL product itself invokes the GPL.

Right, but one (eventual) pipe-dream I have for my enterprise is to
publish APIs to my proprietary modules and encourage third party
development of games to attach to my service (i.e., I'll provide the
infrastructure [billing, collections, customer service, networking, etc.]
in exchange for a skim of profits, and third party developers will
provide content). To do that as a commercial service, I'd not only have
to provide developers with binaries of my modules, but with binaries of
(my possibly modified) DevCore as well (they need something to build and
test on), thus invoking those infectious aspects (as you so aptly put
it). In that case, I'd be very tempted to fork your effort myself by
building a core of my own that was DevCore compliant (but *not* DevCore
itself) and releasing it into the PD, then building my proprietary
service on that. <For the sarcasm impaired, I'm not serious... =) >

I suppose a variant of a GPL license that allowed free distribution of
binaries (only) without forcing public release of source code could be
worked out and would allow for my special case (if list members were
inclined to do so); but again, is it necessary, and will we *really* be
gaining anything? I think not...

I don't see the scheme I outlined above as any threat to DevMUD (if
anything, I would think it would encourage its usage, since people with
no interest in setting up and running the infrastructure could still
produce DevMUD game worlds), but I would see a GPL license as a
*definite* threat to my doing that.

-Rick.

Rick Buck, President and CEO  <mailto:rlb at big-i.com>
Beyond Infinity Games, Inc.